Bob’s Bunkhouse is a home away from home for most of our guests, that is the atmosphere that we like to create. Homely and comfortable, a place where you can put your feet up whilst away from home either on business or on holiday.
Addiction is a common struggle that many individuals struggle with, and here at Bob’s Bunkhouse we have some experience with individuals in recovery. We have had guest stay here for 3 months on one occasion that had just recently completed a a spell in a treatment centre for problems with alcohol, before moving on to a sober house in Cape Town. Fighting the devil you know you know is better than fighting something you don’t know how to conquer. Below are some of the steps recovering addicts can take in order to get their lives back on track.
• Decide if you want to change – Although people may constantly advise you to change and actually pray that you do, it should to be a decision you take by yourself. Being addicted to cocaine and having friends that still do cocaine may lead you back to the dark tunnel you are trying to run away from. It is important that you commitment yourself to the change that you want to see in order to live a drug-free life.
• Find support – Support is not just going to a rehabilitation center. When you are a recovering addict, any source of motivation can do you a whole lot of good. It could be family, friends or finding something you enjoy doing that can take you away from any sense of negativity. Always surround yourself with people who understand your battle and are willing to show you a better path and support you while at it. Some sober accommodation establishments are registered with the tourism grading council while many others are not.
• There’s life after addiction – Every recovering addict will struggle to find their feet again. For an alcohol recovering addict, seeing the bottle will always bring back somber memories. The best way to beat addiction is to find other worthwhile things you can do with your time. Once you have found a hobby or gotten back to work or school, you will realize that life after addiction is endurable after all.
• Forgive yourself – It is common that when we think about our mistakes, a sense of intense regret will fill our hearts. It is for this reason that as a recovering addict, you forgive yourself for what you have put yourself through. This is the only way you will be able to move on to a better, fresher and sober you. Let sleeping dogs lie!
• Don’t despair – Some days will be better than others and some will be worse. Once you understand that there are going to be days that will test your patience and attitude towards being free from any form of addiction, the better the results will be. Never forget why you started your journey to recovery. You started it so you can get your life back on track. The reason you started should always motivate you even in the darkest of days. A rehab in Cape Town is a good choice for those wanting to change their lives for the better.
• Never put yourself in such a critical situation – People don’t often realize the consequences of being addicted to alcohol, sex or drugs. The financial implications of having to constantly buy these goods will show on your budget. On some days, you might start using the money that was meant for important things just to quench your addiction thirst. The time you once had for your family and friends is also compromised. When you no longer have time to even play with your children and your children have to take the fall for your own doings, it is at such times where you need to take a stand against this battle.
Start today, it doesn’t matter how dark the clouds may look now but there will always be sunshine if you are willing to change your mindset. Recovering addiction can only work for an individual who is willing to pick up the pieces and make a change.
There will always be temptation but when you think about what you have lost or what you could lose, that alone should be reason enough why you never go back that route again.
After being in the accommodation and guesthouse business for many years, I can say here is nothing I can think of that compares to the pain and heartache of losing someone. It almost as if the person hearing the news dies herself because there are absolutely no words worthy of healing a grieving soul. Death is nobody’s friend. Our little Guesthouse is not excluded from the grips of immortality, despite the hundreds of guests we have supplied accommodation to over the years. Providing neat clean rooms in a lovely homely environment.
Losing a loved one is similar to you entering a dark path; one where you can’t see any light. It is pain I personally think only God can heal. I have nothing against therapy but I suppose we all have our preferences and I don’t think somebody telling you to “talk about it” cuts it.
Yes, communication is key, this is something that you learn after being involved in the hospitality business and running a successful guesthouse for many years.
However death strikes you in a way where you actually just wish you can’t utter a word at least not until you are ready. Talking does help and things do get better with time, but after talking, you the one who sleeps alone at night, you the one who reminisce over the memories you shared and you the one who needs to remove his or her clothes out of the closet.
With that being said, you actually need to be your own counselor. Words of encouragement can only do so much; it is up to you to at least try to move on. I recently lost a friend and I just completely shut down, I didn’t understand how someone who I had talked to just hours ago has passed on, it was confusing to comprehend that she’s no more.
I cried, I cried so much just thinking that I will never hear her voice again. I cried because she told me she loves me one last time and it broke me to pieces realizing that I will never hear her tell me she loves me ever again. I cried just thinking of the loss of such a young bright lady who was going to make waves and her time was cut short. I cried at the thought of her siblings who were so fond of her and inspired by her progress, I cried until I had no more tears.
I am better now not because I have moved on but because she wouldn’t have wanted me to mourn her death but rather to celebrate her time on earth. I have absolutely no doubt that she is at a better place and she has peacefully rested in tranquility. I am honored to have been her friend and I can live my life going forward with a strong belief that our friendship was real and appreciated by both parties.
Death is so sad. The reality is that you never fully get over the pain of losing someone; the burden just seems easier to carry with time. It becomes easier because I personally think time heals all wounds and wounds fade with time. It is wrong of us to beat ourselves up for our loved ones passing instead of commemorating their lives when they were still in our lives. The opportunity to spend time in a healing environment away from the trauma can be a blessing in disguise. It is well worth considering booking into a guesthouse or seeking alternative accommodation for a week or two.
The best gift you can ever give to someone who has passed on is to live your life. Live it to the best of your abilities, do the things she or he would be proud you doing and live it with the constant reminder that someone who meant so much to you would want you to be the best you can be so it is only right that you grant that gift back.
Life doesn’t stop because we are hurting, it doesn’t care that we are mourning, it only cares about those that are living it. It may never get better but you being granted another opportunity to see the sunshine means you are one step ahead from the heroes and heroines that have fallen so live! The
Bobs Bunk House is a comfortable hostel and guest house with a warm friendly atmosphere conveniently situated 10 minutes from Johannesburg International Airport. This is also the ideal venue for a base to explore all the Gauteng region has to offer.
Bobs Bunk House is close to shopping centres, pubs, flea markets, restaurants and cinemas. There is a variety of rooms available ranging from hostel rooms to double en-suite rooms. All rooms are sunny, bright and comfortable. The lounge and TV room is available for guests use and is the perfect spot to relax.
Bobs Bunk House has been providing outstanding accommodation in Johannesburg to backpackers, tourists and business professionals since 1999. We are the Johannesburg hostel of choice for many regular visitors to Gauteng.
Leisure and comfort are the hallmark of Bobs Bunk House so make this a stop on your South African itinerary.
We offer free pick up for our guests between 7am and 7pm.
Contact us here
| Comfy dorms, 4 beds, ensuite
|| Lounge with TV & bar
| Hot showers
|| Pool & BBQ Area
| Catering facilities
|| Telephone/Fax Facilities
| Airport pickup
|| Official Baz Bus Agent